Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Community Update... City Council Meeting... Health Care Forum... Invites... Links... More

["One Hope~ We Are Earth"; as submitted to You Tube by AnnieCanada on December 16, 2007; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLDDSPMqeEM]

A lot is happening on the local front, with the upcoming elections - folks dropping out - folks checking in - etc. - and I would spend a bit of time on that - if I weren't involved / busy learning all that I can - in the upcoming health care forum (see sidebar) and learning all that I can about the different issues, possibilities, potentialities and pragmatic options that are available in that regard...

So, suffice it to say - I am keeping up with events as best I can (City, County, State and Nation) - and that I salute all of those who have served, those that will continue to serve and those that are just now "officially" entering (or making the attempt...) the political arena.

I'm a "side-liner" - I guess you could say - via my blogs - attending City, County and activist meetings (those that entice me) when I can - moderating the Ward 5 group for a time - writing for the local LWV - hosting and/or otherwise participating in (in conjunction with barackobama.com, MoveOn.org and other such Internet-based entities) in some community-based (real world) events - and trying /learning (SMILE) how to plant a garden...

And although I wish I could take all of this a bit further (I have discussed this with a couple of Aldermen and some other folks...) - I'm not sure (Any input out there folks?) I am ready (even if "acceptable") for the main "ring" (any of them) as of yet...

I've been open on my blogs about my struggles with anxiety and post-traumatic-stress-disorder - and about my fight to overcome these obstacles - which reminds me of when I was a kid - challenged to swim across a big lake and (even though I was a lousy swimmer) taking up the challenge...

What I did is take a tube along - which I kept pushing out in front of me so I could grab it when I needed to - and swim (lol) on my back (thank goodness my father taught me how to float...) a lot...

Feeling much like I do now, short of breath - but still determined! [I did make it across that lake!]

I have undoubtedly made progress in some major ways since the beginning of this year, but "being the change 'I' want to see in the world" has been a full-time (some of your mole-hills are still mountains for me...) challenge - and attempting to do what I do under serious financial constraints (Anyone identify?) is admittedly (I'm not seeking pity nor donations!) TOUGH.

I did attend the Kingston City Council meeting last night - and notes on that will be forthcoming...

I do have the health care forum / discussion pretty much arranged for Saturday...

I would love to see some of our City and County representatives AT the forum / discussion on Saturday... (Hmmmm?)

Other than that - for now - I would like to offer some links (you can click on these in the sidebar) for those that would like to explore the health care issue further - participate in some online activism (We have never had this kind of opportunity before folks!) and/or gather together your thoughts to present at the forum (bring your stories and ideas) on Saturday:

"Health Reform": http://www.healthreform.gov/

"Share your stories and ideas about why we need health reform this year"; http://www.healthreform.gov/communityreports/comments.html

"State Your Support for Health Care Reform This Year": http://www.healthreform.gov/support.html

---------------------------------------------------------------

The City Council meeting was scantily attended (presumably due to the Republican Convention) - but a couple of important (I believe) agenda items were passed - and it certainly seems to me (for the most part) that the Aldermen and Alderwomen in the City of Kingston are sincerely trying to act (in the midst of a difficult social-economic climate) in the best interest of City residents...

Have a Great Day!

NS

No comments: