Monday, June 8, 2009

Democratic Convention... Just Notes...

[Photo by NS]

I attended the Democratic Convention tonight, and I have to admit that I found it a lot more "comfortable" (If that is the right word?) than I expected. I'm grateful to Jen (Ward 5 Working Party Nominee supported by the Democratic Party) for the heads up as to whether the Convention was open to the public or not. And I'm grateful that the general public was allowed to attend.

Kudos!

I'm not going to write about the events of the night. I'll leave that to other bloggers. I simply want to state that I think this would be a good experience for folks that haven't attended such an event - on the next go 'round - because we tend (or at least I have tended...) to put our politicians on pedestals - and really? I think they are a whole lot just like the rest of us!

I have spent a lot of time at Common Council meetings over the last year or so... I've gotten to know a couple of Council members fairly well. And they are, for the most part (we all have our favorites, I guess) pretty likable "people."

There was a disappointing outcome (for me) tonight. And lots of good stuff. All told, I guess the "race" (for some) has just begun... and only effort invested and the passage of time will tell who is lined up (Council / County) for the next couple of years.

One current Councilwoman said that they see so much of me that I ought to join them....

And maybe, in a couple of years, I will give that - or a bid for the Legislature (a bit more my style, I think...) - a shot.

At this point, I still have some work to do on myself - and a lot of learning (that is what I'm working on now, in a multitude of ways) to do.

Good luck to all! May the best man or woman (whatever Ward or District) win!

Peace, Love, Equality and Humane Justice,

NS

No comments: