Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Great Music Video... Doublebinds and Depression... Womens Issues... Empowerment... More

I was going through a magazine at a Doctor's office yesterday - and I came upon a list of what was defined as "inspirational" songs. I checked these out - and only (personally) found that I really liked two out of the seven: 1. "Life is a Highway" (one of my favorites / by Chris LeDoux) and (New to me / pretty awesome!) the following.

["Angels - Jessica Simpson"; as submitted to You Tube by vaivai78 on 9/30/07; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rLfmCJg6pI]

The other thing on my mind this am - with depression (Anyone identify?) giving me the grand slam (leading me to seek out "inspirational" songs...) - is the concept of the "doublebind" - a term that others may or may not be familiar with - defined by the "The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language" as:

"A psychological impasse created when contradictory demands are made of an individual, such as a child or an employee, so that no matter which directive is followed, the response will be construed as incorrect. A situation in which a person must choose between equally unsatisfactory alternatives; a punishing and inescapable dilemma" [Fourth Edition; 2009; Houghton Mifflin Company; Dictionary.com; http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/double%20bind]

I have my own reasons for being focused on this "topic" - which I came across during my college days (Doesn't it seem like the world is chock full of contradictory - "damned if you do, damned if you don't" - messages right now?) - and there is no doubt in my mind that being caught up in a doublebind situation (or feeling like you are) is probably linked to feeling depressed [i.e., What is the use in even trying?] in a big way.

Anyhoot, this thinking trend I'm caught up in (Time to get the body moving...) is not very productive - so I'll take you where my morning's search took me - which is to:

1. A book (Looks like a winner!) on Amazon.com, titled, "Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life", by Martin E. P. Seligman [http://www.amazon.com/dp/1400078393/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=3123652401&ref=pd_sl_75bag7m1kl_b#]; and

2. To a video that some folks (particularly women who are trying to climb the ladder / seeking empowerment / seeking leadership positions) might find interesting:

["Unshackling the 'double bind' of the female leader"; as submitted to You Tube by inseadofficial
on 8/22/08; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhScxbnSOLY]

That is it (I have to sign off quick / company!) for now...

Peace, Love, Equality and Humane Justice,

NS

No comments: