Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hero... Mariah Carey... You Tube... Musings... Common Council Meeting... Activism...

["Mariah Carey Hero lyrics"; as submitted to You Tube by youarenotconfused on February 14, 2008; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr6K0RAc7Fg]

I don't know how many people actually read this blog, as people rarely leave comments, even though I address issues - local, statewide and national - that general pertain to all of us.

I don't know, therefore, how many people actually care about these issues - one way or another; and frankly, find KingstonCitizens.org (Thank You) to be more informative (and active) in that regard.

Thus, it is sometimes discouraging in regard to keeping this blog going; even though I love creating it - and have hopes that this blog - in some way - helps someone, somewhere - smile (at the silly stuff) - and perhaps gain a deeper understanding and/or attain another perspective (Perhaps a different perspective?) on the newsy stuff.

I did go to the Common Council meeting last night. I did relay some concerns regarding Ward 5 that my neighbors (and, in some cases, myself) have on their minds... and I was publicly told (Thank You!) that the situation - regarding some of the dogs in the neighborhood - will be looked into.

However, it is also apparent that I'm "stepping on some toes" - in a sense - and that folks should either contact Alderwoman DiBella about these issues and/or attend meetings (as able) to speak (Or at least support me in speaking for them?) on their behalf.

"One" is indeed a "lonely number" - and a lot of big issues are facing this city (or vice versa?) that require more than one voice - or even four [the number of folks that spoke (I believe) during the open speaking session last night] - or even.............???

I understand that it is easier for some folks to write down their thoughts and feelings - than it is to speak out publicly (This is definitely true for me, as well!) - but I've found out (most times, the hard way...) that if you don't stand up for your needs, your rights, your dreams - and I do mean (as able) physically and verbally stand up...

You are not going to be HEARD [Even the folks involved deeply in KingstonCitizens.org and/or Neighborhood / Community Watch groups seem to shy away - most times - from the official City and County meetings?????] - and thus, your issues (whatever they might be) are not likely (one way or the other) to be responded to!

We have loads of activist, quasi-political and political groups in this city - including everything (and everyone) from the Democratic Committee, the Republican Committee, Ulster County Democratic Women, local representatives of the League of Women Voters (who do have some of their members, including myself, cover some of these meetings); activists associated with MoveOn.org, BarackObama.com, etc... - whom one "might" think would want to attend official (some of them, at least) City and County meetings...

And we have a few folks running for office locally - and at the County level - whom one "might" think (there were a couple such folks present last night) - would be interested in attending - observing - and speaking up (if only for the experience / to build confidence / to relay their own concerns) at City Council meetings - etc. - as well.

Bringing me to the questions:

"Why aren't more of the above mentioned people at these meetings?"

And on a personal level:

"Why should I bother?"

Which is defeatist at best... but sure would make my life (even touching upon the local political scene has raised havoc in my personal life, negatively affected my mental health, etc) a heck of a lot easier!

So...

What am I trying to say?

That I could use a little feedback and support here sometimes...?

That this is YOUR city - and if you value it - YOU need to confront (where needed) and or nurture (where needed) it...!

That if you have problems in your home or on the street you CAN call or email your Alderperson, the police, the DPW, the Mayor - or whomever else (sometimes a call or email to all of these might be required) the situation best applies to...

Put a post on KingstonCitizens.org ...

Put a post on here....

Call your local radio station...

Find out what has happened to your Public Access television station (where one used to be able to do on the air call ins about community issues / problems) - and get involved in solving whatever problems (in that regard) exist...

Make some of the City and County meetings and speak up!

I am discouraged this am...

While at the same time wanting to convey to you that being involved / staying on top of what is going on / speaking up about the issues that one feels are important is also an invigorating, rewarding - "feel good when your head hits the pillow at night" ("at least I tried...") - experience.

--------------------------------------------

I will tell you that some allegations were made (during the open speaking session) regarding alleged human rights violations (and / or abuses) at the Queens Galley last night...

I will tell you that the $400 from the Mayor and City of Kingston - for KAPA (as I understand it, this is to be used for children's programming) was noted on the "General Bills" section of last night's meeting Agenda.

I will tell you that a concerned citizen spoke about his environmental concerns, the number of our children that are on Ritalin and some other issues that are important to him - and to all of us...

And I will tell you that I left soon after the open speaking session ended - because it does suck sometimes - and I'll be real honest and forthright here - to be just one out of four people that had anything to say (publicly - taking on all of the risk that this could potentially entail...) [There is strength in numbers.] - at all.

Perhaps I'll choose to come back and remove this later - I really don't know.

But for right now this is what I needed to say.

Truth, Love, Peace and Humane Justice,

NS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I, for one appreaciate the work you do especially in the area of Kingston Public Access. Thank you, and I hope you countinue your much needed efforts in that area.